The Surplus Lines Symposium
November 1-2, 2018
Hyatt Regency Atlanta | Atlanta, GA
The Surplus Lines Symposium is hosted by Troy University’s Sorrell College of Business each fall and students from several universities attend the event. In 2017 there were 202 registered student attendees from 19 universities, with 15 industry firms participating in the career fair. Information about the 2018 symposium will be available in August.
The annual symposium features a career fair, reception/dinner and educational sessions with various presenters from the surplus lines industry, and receives sponsorship from the WSIA Education Foundation.
Attendees hear from surplus lines industry representatives and the selection of speakers ensures that a variety of points of view are presented for a thorough discuss of the excess & surplus lines insurance industry. The symposium features a career fair and networking opportunities to allow students to begin building relationships to aid their transition to the professional world. Topics and discussions include:
- The Wholesale Marketplace
- Alternative Capital
- Building a Book around Emerging Risks: How Surplus Lines Professionals Insure the Unknown
- Young Guns Panel
- Student to a Professional: Networking to a Career in Specialty Insurance
- Lloyd's and the Global Market
2017 Student and Educator Attendee List
2017 Symposium Flyer
The Extreme Risk Takers Symposium
March 29-30, 2019
The Alpha Kappa Chapter at the Katie School of Insurance at Illinois State University hosts an annual Extreme Risk Takers Symposium. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the WSIA Education Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals. Topics and panel discussions from past symposiums include:
- Overview of the Surplus Lines Market
- Introduction to the WSIA Internship Program
- The Underwriting Cycle
- Lloyd's and the Global Market
- Case Study on Risk Management: The Deal
- Roles and Career Paths in the Surplus Lines Market
- Students, educators and career fair participants can register online here. (You will need to login to register. You may create an account during the registration process if you do not already have one. Use your WSIA member firm or your university as your 'company'. If you receive a message that indicates an email already exists, please use the forgot username and password functions to reset your credentials.)
- The registration deadline is March 9.
The Wholesale and Specialty Insurance Symposium: Risky Business
Hosted by Arizona State University, The Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Symposium was a new event in 2018. The symposium is an educational program sponsored by the WSIA Education Foundation on the surplus lines insurance market and offers sessions and networking opportunities with peers and industry professionals including a session on Actuaries in Action. Topics and panel discussions included:
- Surplus Lines Distribution Systems
- Presidents Panel
- Actuaries in Action
- Young Professionals Panel
- Career Fair
- Scholarship and internship information
- Click here to download a 2018 Symposium schedule and informational flyer. Stay tuned for additional information about the next Wholesale and Specialty Insurance Symposium.
Foundation Golf Tournament
April 13, 2018
The 2018 Foundation Golf Tournament, which raises funds to support education initiatives including scholarships, was held in conjunction with the WSIA Underwriting & Leadership Summit.
Click here for more information about 2018 golf opportunities.