University Grant Program
The Foundation established a grant program to support the growth of both new and established risk management and insurance and actuarial science programs. Grants ranging from $250-$5,000 are awarded each fall and spring semester to support fundraising events, the attendance at WSIA symposiums, and student events. Learn more here.
Friend of the Program ($250-$500 per year)
The Foundation provides small grants to insurance programs raising funds for their risk management and insurance program or Gamma Iota Sigma chapter through a specific fundraising event, such as a golf tournament, or through programs such as a risk management and insurance information session, career fair or mock interviews.
- The Foundation has allocated a total of $10,000 annually in support of the Friend of the Program grants; $5,000 in the fall and $5,000 in the spring and will be awarded on a first come, first served basis.
- Small grant requests are considered only if the benefit accrues directly to the university program and its students rather than a third party. For example, the Foundation does not donate to philanthropic efforts designed to support a local charity.
Emerging Program Grants
To support the growth of newer risk management or actuarial science programs in their first five years of existence this component of the Foundation’s grant program includes three opportunities for assistance:
WSIA Education Foundation Extreme Risk Takers Symposium Series Participation
- Grants are provided for up to four students and one faculty member per college to attend one of the five WSIA Foundation Extreme Risk Takers Symposiums at the symposium event most proximate to the university program. The grant includes waiver of registration fees, one night’s shared lodging, and a travel stipend (average stipend is $1,000) to cover transportation and meals. Click here for more information on the symposiums.
- The Foundation will make up to four awards per semester. Only one award per university program is permitted annually.
- Please complete and submit this form to be considered for this grant. If you have any questions, please contact Chris Timmerman, [email protected].
Application Deadline for Fall 2021
October 14, 2021 - for the Extreme Risk Takers Symposium in Atlanta on November 11-12, 2021
(deadlines for the Spring 2021 symposiums will be posted soon)
- Up to two per semester, with specific focus on the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines market.
- To request a classroom speaker, please complete the College Visit Request Form, or contact Chris Timmerman, [email protected].
On-Campus Career Fair Participation (one per semester)
E&S Immersion Grant
All risk management and actuarial science programs are eligible for this grant. In order to be considered, the request must be specifically focused on the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines market through education, an experience, or an event.
- Up to four grants will be approved per application period (for fall and spring).
- The average grant award is approximately $5,000. Note that the Foundation strives not to be the sole or majority-funder of any risk management or actuarial science academic program.
- To be considered, applications must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the event and will be considered on a first come, first served basis. It is the responsibility of the applicant to illustrate how the request will promote visibility, awareness and understanding of the wholesale, specialty and surplus lines market, driving student interest in this unique, exciting segment of the insurance industry.
E&S Immersion Grant required components:
- Brief description of the request
- Outline of the goals and objectives of the request
- Breakdown of funds required to support the request
- Description of measurable outcomes that will result
- Proposed reporting on measurable outcomes
Grant requests should be submitted here. If funding is approved, the requesting organization will need to submit an IRS Form W-9 to WSIA.